Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hummus, raw veggies, cheese and home made pita

All stuff you can buy easy enough but none of it is hard to do and I like knowing what's in my food (as much as I can). This is also something that you can make tonight and have tomorrow for lunch or a snack. For the veggies I just get a bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots... all cut and washed (yes... I am lazy with some things), I just wash and drain them again before eating. Having this with extra sharp Vermont cheddar.

Again... doing fresh fruit for dessert

HUMMUS

INGREDIENTS:

1 can of chick peas
2 Tablespoons tahini
1 clove of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
couple dashes of ground cumin (to taste)
couple dashes of ground cayanne pepper (to taste)
1/4 olive oil (more or less depending on consistency preference)

WHAT TO DO:

Add everything but the olive oil to food processor and slowly drizzle the olive oil till you have a smooth paste. How easy is that?

PITA BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
3 Cups flour (I'm using 2 cups unbleached and 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup quaker oat meal tonight)
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 Cup warm water

WHAT TO DO:

OK... I'm lazy again and use a bread machine to mix and knead the dough.
Put all the dry ingredients in the bread machine and start on the dough setting. Add the water (depending on what type of flour you're using you may need a little more water...the dough ball should not be sticky).

I usually leave the dough in the machine till it's done with the initial rise or after the kneading, remove the dough and put it in an oiled bowl and cover for about an hour or until it's doubled in size.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece out flat to about 1/4 inch thickness.

Bake on a high heat for 4 minutes (I lined the bottom of my oven with unglazed terracotta tile and bake directly on that you can either use a pizza stone or large cookie sheet), and then turn over and bake an additional 2 minutes. Remove and let cool a bit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment